Ice, Ice, Baby!! The time is here again to lace up and take the family out skating! I love ice skating with the kids at least once a year in San Diego, and thus far I have been to three San Diego ice skating locations. In planning our vacation, I have quickly put together some resources and tips that might be helpful and invite yours, as well.
The ice skating rinks in San Diego are: The Hotel Del Corondo Rink, The Iceoplex, The UTC Ice Sports Center, Viejas Outlet Ice Skating, The Salvation Army Community Center Ice Arena, San Diego Ice Arena and Sycuan’s Fantasy on Ice at Horton Square. Check out The San Diego Blog, which has details and pricing for the rinks for you to check out.
The following are some tips from me and my fellow mama bloggers:
- Ask about special rates during what some call “happy hour” sessions.
- Coronado rink does not validate for their recreation activities so you’ll still have to spend $50 to park onsite (3 hour validation) OR pay the $30 fee. Kids 5 and under eat free when you eat brunch there!
- The Horton Plaza rink offers a season pass for $35.
- I noticed a wait during dinner and lunch hours, but there are less lines and crowds if you go earlier in the day (specifically on weekdays) I am told.
- The Iceoplex in San Diego has a Winter Wonderland Special Skating Session for $10 for the day. One mom reported that the Christmas tree in the center is really cute.
- I am told that at Horton Plaza the staff is so helpful with little kids who are just learning that they hold their hands and stay with them patiently. Now that is the spirit! Also, the convenience of the food (and shopping!) right there is a real turn-on!
- At Vieja’s group rates save you $2 a person.
- I wear insoles in my skates and, Baby, it helps!
- If you missed going after the first week of January, just check out the year-round rinks’ schedules and you will not feel so bad being kicked out into the gorgeous San Diego sun!
Make it an outing the whole family will remember. We would love to know your experiences and/or tips, too!