Columnist – Angela Quisumbing
I know I am not alone when I say I often feel rushed. There is always a to do list and there is always somewhere we need to go.
As the summer slowly comes to a close, and as the family gets back into their routine and prepares for going back to school, I encourage you find time to celebrate the simple things in life. We shouldn’t have to be reminded to celebrate the simple pleasures, but the truth is we live in a world where we are just too busy! If we focused more on the simple pleasures, I think we’d realize that life isn’t as difficult as we make it.
Please allow me to share some of the ways I like to celebrate the simple pleasures in life:
- Start a journal or a diary. Don’t pressure yourself to write everyday or to write everything you did that day. Write a few sentences about the things that made you smile or the things you are grateful for. Look back on what you’ve written, this will help encourage you if you are feeling down. Think about your five sense and write about the things you smelled, the food you ate, the kiss you gave your spouse before he went to work, the smile on your child’s face when said good morning.
- Start your morning or end your eventing, by creating a list of all the things you’re thankful for leaving nothing out. Just keep writing until you can’t anymore.
- Stretch or do a simple yoga pose to show your body that you care. Exercise is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. Give yourself some time to sit in peace, breathe and just be alive.
- Enjoy every bite your food. Instead of rushing through a meal, sit down and eat every morsel. Take your time to enjoy every bite. Smell your food, close your eyes and indulge!
- Apply the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Silly) method to everything you do. Not everything has to be perfect. This is something I still struggle with, but slowly I learn that perfection is overrated when it comes to life! We need to accept that not everything goes according to plan, and that there will be some bumps along the way.
Simply celebrate your life! Be mindful of your surroundings and live in the moment. We know not everyone shares the same simple pleasures, share some of yours with us and tell us know you celebrate them!