Columnist – Kristine Valenzuela
I’ve talked a lot about why organics are important, so this article I thought I’d get to the heart of exactly why organics are a better way to go. I think after you read this, you’ll get an exact picture of why traditional produce may be harmful to your health:
- Glyphosphate which is commonly know as as Roundup made by Monsanto, is commonly-used on non-organic soy and other crops. This is extremely toxic and scientists have recently issued an urgent warning about its use.
- Glufosinate is currently used in non-organic sugar beets and canola. It’s also exceptionally toxic and is known to cause birth defects.
- The EPA is now encouraging contaminated sewage sludge to be use as “fertilizer” to grow non-organic crops.
- Non-organic meats, eggs and dairy usually refer to the fact that animals may have given fed antibiotics, hormones, ground up remains of other animals, and other substances that end up in these foods fed to humans.
- When grain is grown with pesticides and then fed to livestock, pesticide residues accumulate in the animals’ fatty tissue. When humans eat the meat and dairy products derived from these animals, we’re exposed to the toxic ingredients in the pesticides and are at risk of developing health problems as a result.
- In the documentary ‘King of Corn’, the filmmakers demonstrate how the soil used to grown corn is treated with ammonia as ‘fertilizer’ to help the corn grow.
- Many chemical pesticides are known to cause poisoning, infertility and birth defects, as well as damage the nervous system and potentially cause cancer.
I don’t think I need to say much more than this. Yes, we have become used to non-organic crops for decades but that’s not to say it’s better for us. When you have the choice, I say organic is the better way to go. Until next time…
Category: Kids & Family